Re: Lyrics across multi-voice sections

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics across multi-voice sections
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:59:07 +0100

James Bailey wrote:

On 01.03.2010, at 14:28, Graham Percival wrote:

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 01:03:02PM +0100, James Bailey wrote:

On 01.03.2010, at 12:11, Graham Percival wrote:

On Sun, Feb 28, 201Thanks for the offer, but isn't this exactly the
second example from
the bottom in LM 3.2.3 Voices and vocals ?

Yes and no. Yes, the judas maccabeus example does exactly what's
discussed here, single-staff polyphony with lyrics, but it's not really
clear that single-staff polyphony is at work here, and definitely doesn't show the usage of a short section of single staff polyphony. If need be,
I can whip something super-simple up.

Sorry, I'm not following this at all.  Please make up an example,
and explain why it's different/better than the current thing.

Note that I never use polyphony or lyrics, and have a fever, so
I'll either need a very simple explanation or have another
developer take over this discussion from me.

Cheers,
- Graham
This is basically what confuses people. No, it's not any different than what's explained elsewhere, it's just that it's not explained all together. All of the consituent pieces are explained, but nowhere is really explained that this is how to have a short section of polyphony when lyrics are present. I think we can leave the LSR examples if lyrics need to be placed above the staff (for a descant, or some such).

\version "2.12.3"

vocals = \relative {
   c4 d e f
   <<
      {
         \voiceOne
         g2 g
      }\new Voice {
         \voiceTwo
         f4( e) e( d)
      }
   >> \oneVoice
   c1
}

textAll = \lyricmode { This is some text that goes here }

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff \new Voice = vocals \vocals
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocals \textAll

}

The main point of confusion is that you cannot do what seems most intuitive, namely to use the << \\ >> construct. You will never be able to make this point in the manual, unless you also include an example of what does not work. I was convinced that I had seen such an example somewhere in the documentation, but cannot find it right now.

Here's a version of James' example that does not do what most users intuitively would expect.

\version "2.12.3"

vocals = \relative {
  c4 d e f
  <<
     { g2 g } \\ { f4( e) e( d) }

  c1
}

textAll = \lyricmode { This is some text that goes here }

\score {
  <<
     \new Staff \new Voice = vocals \vocals
     \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocals \textAll

}

Note also that this problem must be pointed out both when talking about the << \\ >> construct and when talking about \lyricsto.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering