Re: dynamic and midi velocity

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: dynamic and midi velocity
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:12:11 +0100

David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden> writes:

> Ideally the volume should be preset for each instrument according to
> ratios expressing the relative natural loudness of the instrument, IOW
> set it and forget it, and only velocity should be used for dynamics.
> That is obviously the purpose of the design.  Why fight it?  No good
> can come from twiddling the volume in the middle of the performance.

I have a (not quite cheap) Ketron Keyboard with a volume pedal.  I was
rather surprised to realize that putting it to zero would
a) considerably lower the volume of notes already hit
b) completely stop new notes from being sounded

I would have thought that it would act more or less as a simple analog
volume control, but it would appear that it _partially_ affects notes
already hit.

Interesting.  I have not checked the corresponding Midi messages,
though.

--
David Kastrup