Re: dynamic and midi velocity

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: dynamic and midi velocity
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:25:43 -0500

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 11:40:32 +0100
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 6. März 2010 09:12:11 schrieb David Kastrup:
> > I have a (not quite cheap) Ketron Keyboard with a volume pedal.  I
> > was rather surprised to realize that putting it to zero would
> > a) considerably lower the volume of notes already hit
> > b) completely stop new notes from being sounded
> >
> > I would have thought that it would act more or less as a simple
> > analog volume control, but it would appear that it _partially_
> > affects notes already hit.
> >
> > Interesting.
>
> If you are only used to playing piano then that might come as a
> surprise. But for any string or wind or organ player or singer it is
> just normal that the dynamics of ongoing notes can be changed, and
> e.g. the volume can be increased while a note is sounding.

In addition, your pedal is probably sending expression messages (CC11)
by default.

Just as an aside: when I code a (de)crescendo in MIDI, I use a
combination of velocity and expression. Velocity, as said before not
only influences the relative perception of volume but also changes the
timbre of most instruments. I only ever adjust volume (CC7) for mix
purposes on an over-all basis, never as a continuous controller.

my $.02 ...

David