Re: Problem with initial grace note

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Problem with initial grace note
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 23:33:14 +0000

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 05:12:20PM -0600, Patrick Karl wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2010 22:44:02 Graham Percival wrote:
>> This can be remedied by inserting grace skips of the corresponding
>> durations in the other staves.
>
> Since I don't have any other staves, how does this note apply to my
> case?

Read "other voices" or "other constructs".  I can't remember the
exact thing you were trying, but add skips to stuff.

> And doesn't the above sentence, "Grace note synchronization can also
> lead to surprises", really mean that grace note implementation is buggy?

Yes.

> It looks to me that people have been bitten by these bugs since at least
> 2004 or so.

Yes.

> I guess I'll have to concentrate on engraving music for composers who
> avoid initial grace notes.

... and you've just discovered why there are still bugs in LilyPond.

This is an free, open-source project.  People contribute to it as
they desire -- writing code, documentation, translation, etc.
You're free to use it.  Bug reports are appreciated.  Whining
about known problems when you don't lift a finger to help is *not*
appreciated.

This issue, along with the other 370 known issues in LilyPond,
will be fixed at some point after somebody starts working on it.
If you're not willing to work on it yourself, then don't complain
about other people not doing a volunteer job that you yourself
aren't willing to do.

- Graham