Re: Line breaks and text positioning

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Line breaks and text positioning
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:40:44 -0500

Hi Phil,

> I know it can be worked around with \break, but as a general rule it
> shouldn't be necessary to do this.

Here's a snippet to consider:

\version "2.12.3"
#(set-global-staff-size 17)

\paper { indent = 0 }

\score {
  {
    \clef "treble"
    \time 4/4
    \repeat "unfold" 31 { b'4 }
    b'4^\markup { \normalsize \italic "Some text to test linebreaking
calculation" }
    \repeat "unfold" 40 { b'4 }
    \bar "|."

\score {
  {
    \override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t
[...]

I think the third example is a "bug": if the markup/tempo/rehearsalmark is
going to cause the spacing to be so poor, the line should automagically break
so that the item happens "mid-system" (like the last example).

Cheers,
Kieren.