Re: Transposing my custom key signature

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: Transposing my custom key signature
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:43:13 +0100

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 16 March 2010 23:11, Adam Good <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I searched through the list archives and didn't see much of a
>> discussion regarding this. Maybe one reference that it's not possible
>> to transpose a key signature that uses
>> \set Staff.keySignature =
>>
>> True? If not, hopefully someone can tell me otherwise.
>
> Afraid so.  When you set keySignature, there's no music for \transpose
> to work with.
>
> What you could do is copy your custom key signature alist into an identifier,
>
> customKey = #'((3 . -1/2) (6 . 1/2))
>
> then you can use
>
> \key c \customKey
>
> which should get transposed properly.

Neil thank you for the confirmation and quick reply. What I did leave
out in my message was that I'm trying to get my transpositions while
using the makam.ly file for Turkish music. What I get often are
warnings that glyphs don't exist for such and such alteration for
example one warning says:

"no glyph found for alteration: 7/18"

I'm not even savvy enough to figure out how lilypond came up with that
number (in this case it's asking for the glyph that shows a 4 koma
sharp character...4/9).

By the way, transposing Turkish music on paper in general is
irrelevant for most Turkish classical musicians since transposing by
sight is very common. However a highly practical application for
transposing Turkish music would be to make it readable for Arabic
classical musicians...Arabic music in general is written a 5th below
where Turkish notation sits.

Any more thoughts from anyone?

Adam