Re: Setting 3/4 beaming

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Setting 3/4 beaming
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:10:56 -0600

On 3/25/10 4:40 AM, "T.Skeggs" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for the mantra required to inhibit 6/8 beaming in 3/4 time
> [viz.  \overrideBeamSettings #'Score #'(3 . 4) #'end #'((* . (1 1 1)))  ]
>
> It took a bit of trial-and-error to find a location for this command that
> took effect
> (not with the early global (key/time) commands, nor inside the Score block),
> but it is overall more effective than the use of multiple  \noBeam
> commands.

There are examples in the documentation that show how to use
\overrideBeamSettings (see the Notation Reference for 2.13, Section 1.2.4
Setting automatic beam behavior).

What made it hard to follow those examples?  If you can tell us, we may be
able to improve the documentation.

> The command:  \WaltzTimeBeams   would have been more intuitive, and it makes
> me
> wonder just how many musicians find themselves spending more time trying to
> learn
> Lilypond that actually writing music?

I'm sure that it takes newcomers to LilyPond time to learn how to do all the
customization they need.  It also takes musicians time to learn to play an
instrument.  I think both take time to learn, but bring satisfaction once
the learning takes place.

It would have taken as much time to find the \waltzTimeBeams command in the
documentation as it would have to find \overrideBeamSettings.  And then you
would not have any idea how to fix automatic beam settings in other
settings.

You could help the LilyPond project by creating a brief example of
how to set beams to waltz time, and putting it in a snippet in the LSR,
where it would be added to the documentation.

Thanks,

Carl