Re: Spanish Lyrics Error

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Spanish Lyrics Error
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:34:37 -0700

On 2010-03-27, Gustavo Caicedo wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:12, Patrick McCarty <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > It might depend on what version of Vim you are using, but I usually
> > need to run
> >
> >  :set fileencoding=utf-8
> >
> > as well.  That, along with Jon's suggestion, should solve your
> > problem.
>
> Thank you; that works. One thing, though: After I do that all of the
> special characters are garbled the next time that I open the file
> and if I add another character and reencode, the previously encoded
> characters are changed. How can I go back to the previous (ascii?)
> state? I tried ":set encoding=ascii" but it doesn't seem to work.

I see what you mean.  Vim doesn't behave very well in this sort of
situation.

It sounds like you are using a non-UTF-8 locale.  If you switch to
using a UTF-8 locale, Vim will correctly use UTF-8 for its default
file encoding.

Here is my locale:

  $ echo $LANG
  en_US.UTF-8

To see which locales you have available, run this command:

  $ locale -a

Then you can set LANG to whichever locale is suitable for you.

Thanks,
Patrick