Re: Tempo markings and tempo dynamics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tempo markings and tempo dynamics
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:10:25 -0400

Hi Phil,

> I checked and found that I create the "rall" marking as a \markup, as
> suggested in the documentation.

Where is this suggestion? All tempo indications should really be in
MetronomeMarkup if possible -- here's an example of how I do it, with some
Scheme functions to help out:

tempoMU =
  #(define-music-function
    (parser location text)
    (string?)
    #{
      \tempo \markup \override #'(font-series . medium) $text
    #})

tempoMUMM =
  #(define-music-function
    (parser location prependText notevalue mmText)
    (string? string? string?)
    #{
      \tempo \markup \override #'(font-series . medium)
      \concat {
        $prependText
        " ("
        \hspace #0.3 \fontsize #-2.2 \general-align #Y #DOWN \note #$notevalue
#1 \hspace #0.55
        $mmText
        ")"
      }
    #})

stuff = \relative c' {
  \tempoMUMM #"Stupendously" #"4" #"= ca. 1000"
  \repeat "unfold" 16 { c4 }
  \tempoMU "rall" c c c c
  \tempoMU "a tempo" c c c c
}

\score {
  \stuff
}

That way you can control midi speeds, etc., in the tempo command(s).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.