Re: Book with LilyPond, community of professionals

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Book with LilyPond, community of professionals
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:36:24 +0100

hello,

There was a similar thread a few days/weeks ago albeit on a much smaller scale. I cannot find the thread but I still have the URL that one of the people who emailed into this thread gave with his example of Latex with Lilypond

http://music2.louisiana.edu/Gratis/

There is an example PDF and the original source.

I hope this is useful.

James

Rodolfo Zitellini wrote:
Hi Mike,

LilyPond's native facilities for setting pure text are very crude. I
think that you will need  to use LaTeX, or some similar system based on
TeX, to get good layout of your text. I have used LaTeX/AMSTeX quite a
bit to set mathematical works. You have probably already noticed
lilypond-book, which helps you import short pieces of scores into a book
formatted in LaTeX. Unfortunately, it appears not to help significantly
with longer scores. In principle, you can just engrave the scores with
LilyPond, then import them as encapsulated PostScript into a *TeX
document. This makes you do the interaction between the two, such as
reconciliation of page breaking and numbering, by hand. If you have very
long scores interleaving with long texts, this isn't too bad, especially
if you are satisfied with page breaks between scores and texts. Then,
you can probably use lilypond-book to help import shorter quotes from
the scores into the texts. The worst case is many alternations of scores
that are just too long for lilypond-book with short segments of text. It
is tempting to do the short pieces of text entirely within LilyPond, but
I expect that this will produce highly unprofessional looking
inconsistencies in the look.

The final book will be mostly music, the text is just an introduction
and some front matter.
My toolchain for the thesis will surely be latex + lilypond. I plan to
do all the front matter separately and then merge it with the music
produced in lilypond. Obviously I will have to tweak both latex and
lilypond output so they come out similar (just think of the position
of page numbers...), but I feel some little glitches can be accepted
(after all, they want the texts double spaced!).
BUT for a book, all the small details become (in my opinion) quite
important not to overlook. So margins should be similar, page numbers
positioned exactly in the same way and so on.
I think the idea of exporting all the pages and reimporting them in a
DTP could be valid.

I have used lilypond for some quite large projects (a 370-page
transcritption of a mass and salms is my record :) but everything was
without interleaved texts and not to be professionally published, so I
had less details to worry about :)

I am also curious about the form of your planned transcription work. I
started using LilyPond due to an interest in the Bodleian Canonici Misc
213 manuscript (I have a very nice and expensive photographic
reproduction from The University of Chicago Press), which contains a the
DuFay song, "Ce moys de may," which I was singing. I worked a bit on
setting the mensural notation, but had to sideline it since it requires
a lot of improvement in the basics of the LilyPond support for mensural
notation. I had the idea of setting a series of versions of each song,
starting with one that stays as close to the manuscript as possible
while making each glyph more uniform and legible (this allows efficient
proof reading against the manuscript, and serves as a basis for further
editing), followed by a short series of versions moving away from the
manuscript, and ending in one or more versions in modern notation for
performance.

It will be a late eighteenth century notation, nothing that lilypond
can't handle quite well :)
It is a harpsichord theatise, with a very short intoduction and 24
exercises in the 24 keys in the form of partimenti and "example"
keyboard pieces (capricci, toccate, etc...). I plan to add a
not-so-lengthy introduction and realize the fugues outlined in the
"partimenti".

Ciao,
Rodolfo