Re: Major version: LilyPond 2.14.0 released!

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Major version: LilyPond 2.14.0 released!
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 01:32:09 +0100

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 01:57:07AM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. April 2010 01:11:29 schrieb Graham Percival:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> > > It seems the real joke is "Release Early, Release Often" in the
> > > same sentence as lilypond.
> >
> > In the past 5 months, we've had an
> > average of one release every 2 weeks.
>
> I suppose what Nils meant was not that we have 2.13.x *unstable* *developer*
> releases every fortnight, but rather that we have stable releases about every
> two years (of course, not counting the minor releases, which mainly backport
> fixes to serious problems)...

"Release early, release often" is specifically aimed at developers
-- get the code out there, let people play around with it, let
them help find+fix bugs.  That phrase as **nothing** to do with
stable releases for normal users.

If people want a stable release, they can take a look at the 15
critical issues.  Once those are down, we can announce a beta and
find approximately 5 more critical issues.  Then we'll have a
second beta, and probably discover 2 more issues.  Then we'll have
a third beta, find no more critical issues within two weeks, and
then release 2.14.0.

But this whole process doesn't get off the ground until the
current crop of release-critical issues are fixed.

Cheers,
- Graham