horizontal shift of note column not working

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: horizontal shift of note column not working
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 02:05:00 -0700

Warmest greetings to all.

After months of joyful use of LP, I've finally stumped myself somehow. I'm trying to shift a note to the right, in an inner voice, and getting NO response. Have never had this problem before and cannot seem to figure it out.

In the following complete code (running ver. 2.12.3 on Kubuntu Linux 9.10)-

http://pastie.org/900047

Voice Three, measure 16 (line 168)

\once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #8.0 b4-0

the column shift is set to an absurd value to demonstrate complete lack of any shift at all. The problem is that the 'b' is too close to the half note rest.

The problem is more strange than it initially seems. I tried to force the whole voice (Three) to the right, thinking I could bring it back in the next measure. I put \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #4.0 into measure 16. It affected meas. 17 on, but not m. 16. I put it in m. 15, and again m. 16 was ignored, with measures 17 only affected. This is nuts. I really don't get it.

Thanks for any help offered!

Tom