Re: horizontal shift of note column not working

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: horizontal shift of note column not working
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:08:29 +0200

Phil Holmes wrote:
I've cut Tom's code down quite a bit to try to understand the issue, since I've been trying to do something similar. I hope this is easier to follow.

It's clear that the reason that the rest collides with the note is that the rest has been shifted right to avoid colliding with earlier notes. So what's then needed is a command to shift the note right. When I looked, I couldn't find one, so any guidance would be appreciated by me, too.

Okay, so since I'm at it: to give the note some anchor, add an invisible note in some other voice as follows:

  \once \override Voice.Rest #'extra-offset = #'(2.5 . 0) a2\rest
  <<
    { \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #8.0 b4-0 } \\
    { \hideNotes g4 \unHideNotes }

(That should replace the whole measure in Tom's original example.) The g note kind of "allocates" some position for the whole chord or beat, w.r.t. which the force-hshift works.

HTH,
Alexander