[ANN] LilyPond engines for TeXShop (and a little more)

From: Nicola
Subject: [ANN] LilyPond engines for TeXShop (and a little more)
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 23:09:22 +0200

Hi,
I am pleased to announce that I have eventually updated my TeXShop
engines for LilyPond (well, actually, only the engine that runs
lilypond-book). The new engine is much more robust and flexible than the
previous one (which was called LilyPond-LaTeX). You may download the
engines, plus syntax colouring files for TextWrangler and Fraise (aka
Smultron), at:

http://
users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/content/lilypond-scripts

For former users of LilyPond-LaTeX.engine: this has been superseded by
LilyPond-Book.engine, which can be used to typeset with latex, pdflatex
(the default), xelatex, etc... To choose the TeX processor you have two
possibilities:

1) (permanent) edit the script and set the $TEX variable appropriately;
2) (on a per file basis) put the following line near the beginning of
your source file (see also the 'test' folder):

%! LILYPOND tex = xelatex

where you can replace 'xelatex' with your favourite TeX variant.

CAVEATS:

1) This is a beta version, with no documentation. Although the scripts
work for me, it is wise to keep a backup copy of your source files. In
any case, I decline any responsibility etc etc...

2) TeXShop 2.31 does not allow you to typeset files whose name ends with
.lytex. If you have a complex document, with a main source file that
includes other source files, you must ensure that a) the main source has
suffix '.tex' (otherwise TeXShop won't typeset it), but b) the other
source files have suffix '.lytex' (for compatibility with lilypond-book).

3) LilyPond-Book.engine puts intermediate files into two directories
<jobname>-ly and <jobname>-out, to keep your source folder tidy. It
should be safe to delete these folders at any time (the next run will
re-create them).

Feedback and bug reports are welcome. Before reporting a problem with my
engine, though, please check that you are able to typeset your document
from the command line.

Nicola