Re: wanted: title inter-item spacing tips/suggestions

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: wanted: title inter-item spacing tips/suggestions
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 01:02:10 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Any tips/suggestions on best practice(s) would be appreciated.

I don't presume to know about best practice, but I suspect it doesn't include negative spacing. It's too easy to ask for nonsensical intervals and then Lilypond quietly discards the whole markup, e.g. try applying \pad-around #-3 to your title.

But maybe you would like to try out my millimetres version of vspace:
#(define-markup-command (mm-feed layout props amount) (number?)
 (let ((o-s (ly:output-def-lookup layout 'output-scale)))
   (ly:make-stencil "" '(0 . 0) (cons 0 (abs (/ amount o-s))))))

This mm-feed command was intended for use as standalone markup, but you could use it in a header by tacking it onto an item with:
#(define-markup-command (put-mm layout props dir amount arg)
 (ly:dir? number? markup?) (interpret-markup layout props
   (markup #:put-adjacent Y dir arg #:mm-feed amount)))

as in dedication = \markup \put-mm #DOWN #10 "dedicated to me"

Cheers,
Robin