using Feta font in a research project/HTML5 canvas?

From: Geoff Chirgwin
Subject: using Feta font in a research project/HTML5 canvas?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 22:50:43 +0000 (UTC)

Hi folks,

We're working a research project in music notation handwriting recognition here
in Music Informatics at Indiana University.

Since our first implementation is in HTML5, we needed a lightweight way to
render music notation to the HTML5 canvas entirely client-side in the browser.
Since we know of no existing software that does this, we've started writing our
own.  We're calling it Rastral.

What we have so far is very crude compared to Lilypond's standards, but we
believe this software could be useful with some-- ok, lots of-- work.

There are two immediate questions about licensing (which may spark more):
1) Is it permissible to embed the Feta font in a web page and/or redistribute
it?
2) Is it permissible to embed fetaList.cxx in a web page and/or redistribute
it? (we're using this for the font name to code point mappings, and, believe it
or not, it interprets verbatim as Javascript)

We're assuming we'll GPL Rastral.  We're not expert in software licensing, but
we're hoping to release this software in the spirit of open source, in such a
way that the Lilypond developers approve and that the community as a whole may
benefit.  Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff