Re: A reminder maybe?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: A reminder maybe?
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> It's a similar topic, but not the same topic. Many
> engravers further shortened stems on the very lowest and
> highest opposed notes not on the staff. To fit more
> systems on the page, one presumes. They can be barely a
> linespace long. The shortening of opposed stems now has
> been optimum in  the midrange for a long time, IMO.
>
> A command with a minimum stem length could turn it on. The
> stems of successive adjacent notes would each be made
> longer to where the regular (already shortened) length was
> reached. Without specified high/low pitches it could be
> implemented according to the range of the music in the
> system. Regards, daveA

Are your scheme skills decent?  You could probably achieve
most of the functionality you describe by playing around
with the callback I attached to this post:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-04/msg00152.html

What I don't know how to do is how to detect the range of
music in the current system, so that part of it might
require some more advanced coding.  But even without that,
you could still fashion a useful solution entirely in
scheme.

- Mark