Re: key change between repetition bars?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: key change between repetition bars?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:41:49 +0100

Hello

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> One trick that was proposed some week ago in a similar situation, is > > to
> use a grace note:

That's nice but a bit 'hacky' and not very intuitive don't you think?

Why doesn't the following example work or rather, I know this doesn't work, and I can't understand why.

{
  \key c \major
  \bar "|:" a b c d \bar ":|"
  \key d \major
  \bar "|:" a b c d \bar ":|"
}

However in my own limited experience there is no reason why the change of key has to come *between* the two repeat marks and the next example is does work

{
  \key c \major
  \bar "|:" a b c d \bar ":|:"
  \key d \major
  a b c d \bar ":|"
}

and as far as I can tell is perfectly acceptable (if not preferable?).

James