Re: Chromatic notation

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Chromatic notation
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:17:02 +0100

On 16 April 2010 01:01,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to be able to use Lilypond to create chromatic musical
> notation - 6 lines per staff movement from any line to space or space
> to line is a half step.
>
> Is there a very simple way to do this using Lilypond? I don't want to use
> external code except for maybe a style file.

It's not very well documented (yet), but you probably want to use
staffLineLayoutFunction:

(lifted from here:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob;f=input/regression/chromatic-scales.ly)

scales = \relative {
  a ais b c cis d dis e f fis g gis

\new Staff \with {
  \remove "Accidental_engraver"
  \remove "Key_engraver"
  staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones
  middleCPosition = #-6
  clefGlyph = #"clefs.G"
  clefPosition = #(+ -6 7)
}
{
  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #6
  \time 4/4
  <<
    \scales
    \context NoteNames {