Re: custom autobeam settings trashed by time sig?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: custom autobeam settings trashed by time sig?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:52:19 -0600

On 4/18/10 8:15 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In Lilypond 2.13.x, I'm finding that my autobeam overrides are being
> overridden every time I change [i.e., alternate] time signatures -- for
> example,
>
> \version "2.13.17"
> \relative c' {
>   \time 2/2
>     \overrideBeamSettings #'Score #'(2 . 2) #'end #'((* . (1 1 1 1)))
>     \set Score.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
>     c8 c c c c c c c
>   \time 3/2 c c c c c c c c c c c c
>   \time 2/2 c c c c c c c c
> }
>
> Am I the only one that thinks this is not desirable behaviour?

No, you are correct that this is not desirable behavior.  I made several
proposals about how we might fix it, and we finally got to one that is
workable, but I haven't made it work yet.

> Do I really
> have to create my own functions like
>
> twotwo = {
>   \time 2/2
>   \overrideBeamSettings #'Score #'(2 . 2) #'end #'((* . (1 1 1 1)))
>   \set Score.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
> }
>
> and use that -- instead of "\time 2/2" -- in order to encapsulate (and thus
> hold on to) my beam settings?

Right now you do need to do something like that.  But hopefully it will be
fixed in a few weeks.

> Or is there something about the mechanism that
> I'm misunderstanding?

No, right now you are seeing the standard behavior.  Setting the time
signature with \time 2/2 resets the beam settings.

I'm working (slowly) on a patch for that.  I've been waiting for the
semester to end so that I can spend a day or so of serious effort to resolve
some Scheme issues on the patch.

Thanks,

Carl