Re: [tablatures] Re: Problems with chord glissandos with articulations a

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [tablatures] Re: Problems with chord glissandos with articulations and tablature
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 04:43:39 -0600

On 4/24/10 1:39 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen schrieb:

>> OK, I couldn't keep away from it while I was at my son's graduation
>> exercise.
>>
> Hehe, sounds familiar :-)
>> I've attached replacement code that now works for both a staff and tabstaff.
>> One issue -- you need to explicitly set string numbers for the chord,
>> because the glissando ends up being drawn one note pair at a time, so the
>> string selection algorithm doesn't work.
>>
>> Again, it's probably a hack rather than a real solution; the real solution
>> would find the string numbers from the first chord if it's a TabVoice and
>> use those numbers automatically.
>>
> Thank you for investigating further. It has one serious drawback - it
> seems to be impossible
> to use music variables. Your posted chord-gliss-tab.ly works properly,
> but if I use
>
> test = { \chordGlissando <c\3 e\2 g\1 >8 <f\3 a\2 c\1 >8 }
>
> \relative c' {
>   <<
>  \new Staff {
>    \new Voice {
>      \parserSetVoiceSymbol #'Voice
>      \test
>    }
>  }
>  \new TabStaff {
>    \new TabVoice {
>      \parserSetVoiceSymbol #'TabVoice
>      \test
>    }
>  }
>>>
> }
> it creates three separate staves below.

Oh, yes, of course. At the time test is parsed, we don't have a
\parserSetVoiceSymbol setting active.  So my hack won't work.

I guess it's back to the difficult and complicated problem of making it
happen during translation.

> I wonder whether it would be possible to define something like
> \new Bottom { ... }
> which will be expanded to a Voice within Staff and
> to [Tab|Drum]Voice within [Tab|Drum]Staff.
>
> Perhaps I am wrong, but this should simplify things a lot.

Yes, it would.  But I have no idea how to do such a thing.  In fact, I don't
even know how I'd get started on it.

Thanks,

Carl