Spacing miserable failure

From: Jacob Rau
Subject: Spacing miserable failure
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:55:16 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings, list!

I am having an infuriating problem with Lily. Attached is my score; what I'm
trying to do is get rid of the ridiculous space after the first system and
before the next, and bring all systems closer together. In fact, I'd like to
mash another system onto the first page--this was my entire reasoning for
bringing this into Lily, so I could mash all 10 pages (unplayably complex page
turns for a mediocre musician such as myself) into about 4.

However, everything I've tried hasn't worked. I messed with a couple of
overrides--I don't remember the names, but they all caused Lilypond to throw
syntax errors. After that I stumbled on the \paper block, and have been trying
to find settings that will reduce the spacing ever since. No values in my
current \paper block seem to have any effect whatsoever.

The first system does have a piano staff on it, but Lilypond hides it...but it
kinda looks like Lily still thinks that piano staff is there, taking up space,
as the spacing doesn't change when I go back and forth between hiding and not
hiding that part of the first system.

Can anyone explain what's going on? So far, I've tried to RTFM, but I don't
know which part of TFM I should be reading at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob Rau