Re: Chord Naming

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Chord Naming
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:24:13 +0200

On 25.04.2010, at 01:46, Tim Rowe wrote:

On 25 April 2010 00:30, Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Tim Rowe <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm sure I used to be able to do this, but now I can't. I must be
getting forgetful!

How do I get Lilypond to show chord names instead of jazz symbols (I'm
not a jazzer!)

In other words, I want C major 7 to show as Cmaj7, not as C with a
triangle next to it.

Check out this snippet:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=459

Um, well, thanks I suppose. I can't make any sense out of that
whatsoever. Does this mean that I have to learn Scheme to get Lilypond
to produce (what I think of as) standard chord notation?

--
Tim Rowe

Yes. And No. If you look at that snippet, the very first bit, the chExceptionMusic defines what the chords should look like, in markup. In terms of getting the chords to look the way you want, you only need markup. But, to understand where to put that, it just takes a bit of critical thinking about what changes what. For the record. I don't know Scheme, and I figured it out. It takes a bit of trial and error, but Scheme isn't really necessary to do it.