Re: Expressive Notation Package (ENP)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Expressive Notation Package (ENP)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:54:35 +0100

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 02:56:53PM +0200, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> Kuuskankare, M (2009) ENP: a system for contemporary music notation.
> Contemporary Music Review 28(2): 221--235
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07494460903322505

That's not new -- or rather, that's just the latest version.
There's published papers about it in 2006, 2004, 2001, and
possibly earlier.

> But it's interesting to see that Lilypond is proving influential among
> the mainstream commercial notation software providers ...

There's somewhere between 20 and 50 papers that cite lilypond;
just do a google scholar search for "lilypond music" or something
like that.  Many of them are merely using lilypond to generate
output for their music transcription programs, but there's also
things like "perllilypond" that specifically translates from one
data format (humdrum) into lilypond format.

I'm somewhat annoyed that almost none of these projects get in
touch with us (especially the filetype conversion ones!), but oh
well.  The new website will have a place for academic papers
citing lilypond, so hopefully if researchers see that list and
notice that their paper(s) is missing, they'll get in touch.

Cheers,
- Graham