Re: Bug report with tablature and quater-tone scordatura

From: Bernardo Barros
Subject: Re: Bug report with tablature and quater-tone scordatura
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:09:24 -0300

You can use different music for the notes than for the tablature.  I realize
that this is not desirable, but it's one way around the problem.

You might also try redefining SEMI-SHARP.  Look at scm/lily-library.scm, and
find

(define-safe-public SEMI-SHARP 1/4)

Try changing it to

(define-safe-public SEMI-SHARP 1.1/4)

or to

(define-safe-public SEMI-SHARP 1.1/4)

I won't promise that this will work, but it might.

Hi Carl, Thank you very much for your help!

I'll try all that and then I let you know if it works. I noticed that the problem is often with the first octave of the third string, it's always one step above the correct one. Strange... I'll try your guess. But I think I'll focus on the tablature because the musicians will prefer to read the tablature since the tuning is unusual.

Another possible work-around if this doesn't work is to put all of your
string 3 notes in a separate music _expression_ and use part-combine to put it
with the rest of the notes.  That way, you can have the regular notation
written in the true pitch, and then you can transpose the tabulature notes
on string 3 to match the pitch in the stringTuning.

I don't know what is part-combine, but I'll search the documentation.

Thanks,
Bernardo.