Re: \cresc question

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: \cresc question
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:54:10 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 08:46:41 schrieb Martin Tarenskeen:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to this with Lilypond 2.13.19:
>
>       \relative c' { c1\mf | d\cresc | e | f\ff }
>
> Nothing special I would say. But after compiling the "cresc." is placed
> below the e in the third bar instead of below the d in the second bar.
> I don't understand.
>
> Please explain ?

Currently, \cresc is an undocumented command that does not work properly (i.e.
its syntax is different from everything else, because it applies to the
following note -- as you observe -- and it needs \endcresc instead of \!), so
for now, you should refrain from using it.

However, if you are running a 2.13.x version of lilypond, you can override the
\cresc definition with the proper definition (which will hopefully be applied
soon and available in the next version):

cresc = #(make-music 'CrescendoEvent 'span-direction START
                     'span-type 'text 'span-text "cresc.")
dim = #(make-music 'DecrescendoEvent 'span-direction START
                   'span-type 'text 'span-text "dim.")
decresc = #(make-music 'DecrescendoEvent 'span-direction START
                       'span-type 'text 'span-text "decresc.")

Copy these into your lilypond file, and the \cresc command will correctly
work.

If you are running 2.12.x, then you have to use the officially documented
method for text crescendo spanners (copied from the documentation on
dynamics):

\crescTextCresc
c2\< d | e f\!
\dimTextDecresc