Re: Cross-hand notation

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Cross-hand notation
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:08:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, David Fedoruk wrote:

Hello:

The actual indication for notes played by the unexpected hand is M.D.
(main  droit) for right hand  and M.G. (main gauche) for left hand. In
this case, French is used instead of Italian.

I think "m.d." and "m.g." (lowercase) is more common, but I'm not sure about that. Or "m.d." (mano destro) and "m.s." (mano sinistra) in Italian. Or even R.H. and L.H. , in English, German, and Dutch. For an international edition I would choose the Italian version.

Like in:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:LisztPaganiniEtudeNo4Opening.jpg

But the thread was about chords where part of the notes had to be played with the other hand. A slightly different matter.

--

Martin