Re: Why are the chords printed below the staff in this example?

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: Why are the chords printed below the staff in this example?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 15:22:29 -0400

The << and >> brackets tell LilyPond to print the staves and contexts within them concurrently.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13//Documentation/learning/i_0027m-hearing-voices#I_0027m-hearing-Voices

From: "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden>

> Thus, take them out to the same nesting level as Staff:
>
> chd = \chordmode { c1 a:m }
> mus = \relative c'' { c4 d4 e2 | a4 b4 c2 }
> lyr = \lyricmode { See the E, A bu -- sy }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new ChordNames \chd
>     \new Staff <<
>       \new Voice = "one" \mus
>     >>
>     \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \lyr
>   >>
> }
>

> HTH,
> Alexander

Aha! This would not have occurred to me, but now that I see it, no other
configuration makes sense. Of course chord names live outside of the staff.
Thanks for this fix; I will apply it right now. One follow-up question that
might sound obvious: What do the double angle brackets signify? Do they
group contexts together so they appear together? Is it something more
subtle?

Again, many thanks. I was pulling my hair out over this.

Romel

P.S. Sorry Alexander if you're getting this twice... I forgot to CC the list.