Re: Accidental not properly notated in score

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: Accidental not properly notated in score
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 19:13:32 -0700

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Patrick Karl <address@hidden> wrote:

> On May 4, 2010, at 7:46 PM, Jay Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Patrick Karl <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain why the 2nd d-sharp is not notated in the music in the
>>> following snippet:
>>
>> I can't tell you why it's not showing, but I can tell you that you
>> don't need the partial inside the repeat. Taking that out happens to
>> fix the accidental issue.
>
> I'm sure I must be missing something here, but if I took the partial outside
> the repeat, I don't think it would be repeated on the 2nd go-around.  Or?

The partial should be removed altogether. Give it a try. Everything
lines up correctly:
\version "2.12.2"

\relative g'' {
       \partial 4 r4
       r2. dis4 |
       e2.

       \repeat volta 2 {
               c8 dis |
               e2.

There is one place where partial is needed with repeats: inside one of
the alternatives. If you use partial inside an alternative the
accidental may disappear. Here's an example:

\version "2.13.19"

\relative c'' {
  \partial 4
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c8 dis |
  }
  \alternative
  {
    % Messes up timing in second ending:
    % {dis2.}

    % Causes accidental to disappear and pickup eights to not be beamed:
    % {\partial 4*3 dis2.}

    % Better workaround except now second ending accidental is missing:
    {dis2. \partial 4*0 | }

    {dis1 |}

I think this is related to issue 355, but I didn't see any mention of
partial causing problems with accidentals.

-----Jay