Re:Glissandos

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re:Glissandos
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:57:31 -0700

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:39:49 +1000
> From: "Ossie Wilson Snr" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re:Glissandos
> To: <address@hidden>
>
> My daughter is arranging a simple song to be sung by primary school
children
> in an eisteddfod  in the next few weeks and I am trying to typeset her
> arrangement in LP (2.12.2 on WINDOWS XP). There are non lyric passages
where
> vocal sounds are used to indicate city noises, forest noises and ocean
> noises. These are to be defined by pictorial impressions of the way the
> sound fluctuates together with attached words like "Vrmmm", "bbring
bbring"
> etc on the song sheet submitted to the adjudicator before the
performance
> and the song must presented with no deviation from that format.
>

> I have been using cross headed notes, arpeggios (with hidden notes),
zigzag
> glissandos (also with hidden notes) etc to show these effects. However,
> have struck a few problems.
>

> 1)                   I would like to be able to vary the width and
lengthy
> of the zigzag on glissandos to better indicate the variation in pitch to
be
> obtained.
>
> 2)                   Where noises vary from low pitch to high pitch and
back
> down again, I have been using a series of connected glissandos (hidden
> notes) but there are gaps where the hidden notes are missing. I have
> attempted to close these gaps by adding to the length of the individual
> glissandos by changing the appropriate bound-details. This does lengthen
the
> glissandos appropriately but also raises their angle from the horizontal
so
> that the missing note space remains but at a higher pitch. I tried to
avoid
> this by using the same function but using X instead of Y e.g.
> #'(bound-details right X). This did not work but showed no error in the
log
> and did not show the glissando at all in any shape. I realize I am
> completely ignorant when it comes to modifying the behaviour of LP
objects
> and rely on what I am able to read that someone else has devised.
>
> Does anyone in the LP community have any practical advice on either or
both
> of these problems (not just read the manuals) or can they suggest other
> symbols that already exist where these changes would not be required.
>

> Thanks for your interest.
>

> Ossie Wilson

Ossie,

Would something like this work?:

\version "2.13.16"
#(set-global-staff-size 24)

\header {
  title = "Clusters snippet"
}

\layout { ragged-right = ##t
        \context { \Voice \override ClusterSpanner #'minimum-Y-extent =
#'(-0.5 . 0.5)}
}

fragment = \relative c' {
  \time 4/4
  <f fis>2 <e' f>2 |
  <d, es> <c' cis>
}

<< \new Staff \makeClusters \fragment
\new Staff \fragment

(I tried to make the clusters thinner with no success. Maybe someone else
can say how to do that.

Or can you output lilypond to svg and add or fill in the glissandos you
want using Inkscape?

Tim Reeves