Re: Help with Tweaking of Volta Brackets - without repeat marks

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Help with Tweaking of Volta Brackets - without repeat marks
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:32:44 +0100

James,

I'm by no means an expert on LilyPond or music, but can offer the following
observations:

You can get rid of the error message by ending the first volta with a finish
marking.  If you replace your second \set Score command with:

  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "Fine."))

It will compile cleanly.  However, you won't get the ending lines you're
looking for.  I think that this is because you're not actually signalling a
repeat from a musical perspective.  My understanding from playing with this
in LilyPond is that the double bar is not a repeat mark, and therefore
LilyPond has not found anywhere to actually terminate that section of music.
Replace your \bar "||" with \bar ":|" and you get the "terminated" bracket
you're looking for.  Ditto the second repeat isn't actually (in musical
terms) terminated - the music carries on past the 4th bar into the 5th.  If
you want a "terminated" bracket on the second time, you need to align the
end of the bracket with where the music ends, and tell LilyPond explicitly
where this is.  I do this with an end bar.

My version below isn't what you want, because it uses repeat bars where you
have double bars, but it is musically correct and ends the brackets as you
want.

\relative c' {
  \time 4/4
  d'4. c8 b a g f
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
  e4 e' e r
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "Fine.") end-repeat)
  e,4 e e r \bar "||"
  c'4 c8 c c4 c8 c
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
\bar "|."

Phil Holmes

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Lowe" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:46 PM

Hello,

This is a simple example of what I have managed to work out from the  doc.

--
\relative c' {
  d'4. c8 b a g f
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
  e4 e' e r \bar "||"
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "Fine."))
  e,4 e e r \bar "||"
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
  c'4 c8 c c4 c8 c

This is ok (kind of), but I wondered if anyone could tell me how to improve on it by either:

1. Ending both brackets 'properly' (i.e. so they both start and end with a vertical line on each measure).
2. If not, how to end the last volta so that it isn't just left  'hanging'

I don't want to use repeat marks, which is why I haven't used \repeat volta ... but want the at least the last bracket to terminate properly as that is the end of the music.

Also when I compile this music I get a warning in the logs

--

Parsing...
Interpreting music...

---

etc.

So if I modify the example to

\relative c' {
  d'4. c8 b a g f
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
  e4 e' e r \bar "||"
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "Fine."))
  e,4 e e r \bar "||"
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
  c'4 c8 c c4 c8 c
}

with the extra termination before the start of the new bracket I get exactly the same output and warning.

Thank you for your time.

James