Bug/feature/help? with extenders

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Bug/feature/help? with extenders
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:06:43 +0100

I've been setting some music where one verse ends with some music and lyrics, and the others don't. All 4 verses use underscore extenders to provide a line to the end of the sounding note. This works fine on the first verse, since there are lyrics after the underscores, but it doesn't work as I want on the other verses. I've made a shorter version of the problem to illustrate it - .ly snippets are available, but I think just the PDF and lyrics show it well enough.

In UnderscoreTest.pdf I've put an extra syllable after the extender, and this now ends where it should. The lyrics for the second verse are:

{ La la la __ La la la __ La }

In UnderscoreTestShortError.pdf there's no lyric syllable after the extender, and the extender now reaches the following note, which I believe it shouldn't do. The lyrics are:

{ La la la __ La la la __ }

This is a particular problem when there's a lot of blank space between the extender and the final notes - the extender becomes very long and throws an error when it crosses a line break.

Is this a bug or just something I'm doing wrong?

(BTW - I do know how to work around this by using \once \override LyricText #'stencil = ##f and placing some dummy lyrics at the end, but would prefer to avoid this if possible).

--
Phil Holmes