Didn't find a vertical alignment in this system

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Didn't find a vertical alignment in this system
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 06:54:03 +1000

I have a score on which I'm using showLastLength to only generate the last ten bars. As I add bars and run Lilypond, every so often I get the error below and the score won't build until I change the number of bars for showLastLength. What is the error indicating? I had a quick look at page.scm but I can't see why page layout should suddenly barf due to starting output at some point into the score. LP 2.13.22 x86 on Linux:

"programming error: didn't find a vertical alignment in this system
programming error: system with empty extent/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/scm/page.scm:244:68: In procedure - in expression (- 0 y ...):"