Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps'

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps'
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:01:13 -0700

2010/6/4 josé henrique padovani <address@hidden>:

> I am trying to generate svg files of my score, where I use some \postscript
> markups. Everything goes ok, except those markups...
> I get this warning and the svg file comes without the postcript drawings...
> "warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps'"
>
> Is this a bug? If not, is there some work-around?

It's not a bug.  :-)

The \postscript command is one of the few commands that uses native
PostScript code in the output.  Since SVG doesn't support embedded
PostScript, there is no easy way to support \postscript in the SVG
backend.

If your PostScript code is simple enough, you could try trying
creating custom figures with the 'embedded-svg routine.  This permits
entering native SVG code that can be used with the SVG backend.  For
an example, see this code:

  http://uoregon.edu/~pmccarty/svg/src/embedded-svg/embedded-svg.ly

Note that 'embedded-svg will not work with the PostScript/PDF output.

Another option is to use the 'path routine.  This isn't documented yet
and is a little cumbersome to use, but you can find an example that
uses 'path in this snippet:

  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623

In other words, there is no *easy* workaround... yet.

-Patrick