Re: Kieren MacMillan, Bounty Hunter

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Kieren MacMillan, Bounty Hunter
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:40:35 +0100

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 01:26:28PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > In particular, could this figure be in US$ or euro?
>
> The local currency stays meaningful to the sponsor, whereas the converted one
> doesn't.
> e.g., if I offer US$100 when the CDN$ is at parity, I'll have to pay $200 if
> it drops to 1:2 during the time the bounty is unclaimed.

Well, do we want to make things easier for the sponsor, or easier
for the developer?  It's a trade-off.

My whole view of lilypond development is to make things as easy as
possible for the people we have the least of.  More users than Bug
Squad members?  put more onus on users reporting bugs and less on
the Bug Squad.  More users wanting news about releases than people
working on releases?  screw writing detailed news; users can go
read the changelog (or offer to help) they want more info than
"some bugs were fixed, and BTW, you shouldn't be using 2.13 for
anything serious".

Currency fluctuation *is* an issue, especially if bounties float
around for a year or two before being claimed.  We could add time
limits to these... frankly, I'd interpret any bounty older than 3
months as a "suggestion" rather than a firm promise, and I'd try
to contact the person offering it to check if it's still valid
before doing any work.

Cheers,
- Graham