Re: Volta alternative with different numbering

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Volta alternative with different numbering
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 19:36:49 +0200

2010/6/8 D'Arcy J.M. Cain <address@hidden>:

> I tried to search the mailing list archives and I think I saw this
> question come up (it was unclear) but I couldn't find an answer.
>
> I am trying to transcribe a piece of music (What's Going On - Marvin
> Gaye) and there are three verses so I did volta 3.  The problem is that
> the alternative endings are one for the first time through and another
> for the second and third.  IOW they should be labelled "1" and "2-3"
> but they come out as "1-2" and "3" instead.  The docs make it clear
> that this is the default behaviour but it seems that what I am trying
> to do isn't so oddball that there isn't some way to do this.  Can
> someone help?

I'm afraid you'll need to use "Manual repeat marks" for this.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#manual-repeat-marks

\score {
  \relative c' {
    c1
    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(start-repeat)  % Print a |: bar line.
    c4 d e f
    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))  % begin volta bracket "1"
    g4 a b c
    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "2.-3.") end-repeat)
    % end volta bracket "1", begin volta bracket "2-3", Print a :| bar line.
    g4 e c2
    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))  % end volta bracket "2-3"
    c'1

Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>