Re: Creating chord names like C7/F#7

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Creating chord names like C7/F#7
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 07:40:59 -0500

On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:07 AM, snozpacker wrote:

For a certain polytonal piece, I need to display chord names of the form "C7/F#7". That is, I need to be able to have an entire chord after the
slash, not just the root.

I already know how to modify the main part of the chord using
chExceptionMusic, like in the example code below. But I can't figure out
how to use this to modify the part after the slash.

If I only had to do this once, I suppose I could just take one type of chord that I didn't need, hard code it as C7/F#7 in chExceptionMusic, and call it in \chords whenever I needed it. But I have to do it for many different
chords.

What is the correct way to do this?

I don't know that there is a way to enter polychords into Lilypond, but by some conventions at least you don't want to display them as a slash chord (e.g., triad/triad) but above each other separated by a horizontal line.

C           C7
-   or      -
A           F#7

Polychords are usually triads over triads rather than tetrads over tetrads, although your needs might be different. It might be easier to write the exception using triads using a horizontal line rather than a slash to specify them as polychords.

Hopefully someone else will know how to code these; you may have to write a Scheme function to do this (and if you succeed, submit it to be included!). There was discussion on this about a year ago with no resolution, IIRC.