Re: Presentation: "Publisher-grade LilyPond" in Ottawa

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Presentation: "Publisher-grade LilyPond" in Ottawa
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:28:39 +0200

Am Freitag, 11. Juni 2010, um 22:00:21 schrieb Boris Shingarov:
> > And for those who cannot make it or are too lazy
> > to travel to Canada, will your presentation or
> > paper be available online?
>
> The slides are now online at
> http://www.shingarov.com/lily

Some comments:

-) Flowing text with music is simply out of the scope of lilypond. That would
mean that a full text layout system is implemented, too. Otherwise things like
hyphenation or widows/orphans cannot be properly handled. Ideally, of course,
we would have someone / some company working on that, but the resources are
simply limited.
And, as you note, fragment line breaking is extremely complex...

For my critical editions (of classical music), I first tried lilypond, too,
but soon switched to latex. I don't have to mix music with text, but only
insert some figures (not with lilypond-book, but rather using a make file to
(re-)generate the images as needed). The only things that I sometimes need are
dynamics. It's still on my todo-list to make the lilypond dynamics font
available in latex.

-) "Upstream community shows zero interest in addressing these issues"
I don't think there is zero interest in having the problems fixed, rather the
contrary. However, there is zero time to address them ourselves.
The problem is that we are all doing this in our (very limited) spare time, so
of course we concentrate on stuff we need.
And, btw, I'm very interested in footnotes, as I'd need them with my critical
editions, too... But I have even more pressing needs: Fixing lilypond-book for
the MusicXML test suite, implementing cue notes WITH lyrics, finally finishing
the 10 editions I have been working on so far, etc.

BTW, have you fixes for the vertical alignment been pushed yet?

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886