Re: 8th triplets in 3/4 beaming?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: 8th triplets in 3/4 beaming?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:31:14 -0600

On 6/12/10 10:03 PM, "Mike Blackstock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This:
> \relative c' {
>         \time 2/4
>         \times 2/3 {c8 c c }
>         \times 2/3 {c c c }
> }
>
> gives me this, as expected: http://www.vex.net/~mikeb/ex2-4.png
> (beam connecting 3 triplets then a new beam)
>
> but this, in 3/4 with 3 triplets:
> \relative c' {
>         \time 3/4
>         \times 2/3 {c8 c c }
>         \times 2/3 {c c c }
>         \times 2/3 {c c c }
> }
>
> gives me this, with beams all  connected: http://www.vex.net/~mikeb/ex3-4.png
>
> Every time signature but 3/4 gives me the expected result - beam
> connecting 3 triplets, then a new beam.
> Am I missing something obvious?

In order to make the measure grouping engraver work properly on 3/4 time,
the default beaming rule for 3/4 is to beam all beats together.  Hence, the
triplets are all beamed together.

You'll want to change the beam settings for 3/4.  I think the best would be
to add a rule ((2 . 24) . (3 3 3)) or perhaps ((1 . 12) . (3 3 3)).  I
haven't experimented enough with triplets to give you a solid answer, but
this should point you in the right direction.

HTH,

Carl

P.S. There is a new autobeaming patch in review, so the answer for 2.13.11
will be different from the answer for 2.13.25