Re: (2.13.x) Alignment of topmost and bottommost staff of page

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: (2.13.x) Alignment of topmost and bottommost staff of page
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:12:00 +0200

On 2010-06-16 13:16, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Alexander,

is it possible to tell LilyPond to use the same vertical positions for all topmost and
bottommost staff lines of different pages?  Rephrased, can I say "I know what I'm
doing, ignore all vertical extents below the last staff lines of a page for vertical
stretching, even if it collides with the footer"?

Did you try setting #'bottom-system-spacing #'padding to 0 and using
#'minimum-distance only?
According to [my reading of] the docs, this should work.

Hi, Kieren,

it's the right track, thanks a lot.

\paper { bottom-system-spacing = #'((minimum-distance . 2) (padding . -10)) }

is the candidate. Looks like I have to set #'padding to a negative value to tell LilyPond to ignore vertical extents up to this value below the last staff line; -inf.0 is, while technicially the best guess, not quite useful, since any footer will print into the staff lines then (and this can't be helped with \vspace, e.g.). A finite negative value is okay; the collision with the footer can then be dealt with using \vspace and an appropriate (read: trial-and-error) offset.

It's a pity, though, that bottom-system-spacing relates to the top of the bottom margin instead of the top of the footer + foot-separation... That'd both allow -inf.0 for padding, and make finding the correct \vspace value in the footer far easier. (For some reason, the latter is not quite what I'd expect, e.g. for padding = -100 I need \vspace #31.5 to get a nice result for a two-line footer?!)

Cheers,
Alexander