Re: Acciaccatura with glissando

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Acciaccatura with glissando
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

phil.burfitt wrote:

> Hi Eluze,
>
> Thanks, that gives a visible glissando, but unfortunately distances the
> grace note too much. If glissando minimum-length is set to anything less
> than 3, it disappears!

hi Phil!

i don't agree fully, but of course you have to judge from your final
context!

the following solution with a minimum-length = #2 looks quite acceptable to
me:

{
% \override Glissando #'gap = #5                            % NO EFECT!?
  \override Glissando #'minimum-length   = #2.0
  \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Glissando #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #.6
  \override Glissando #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #.9
  \override Stem #'stroke-style = #"grace"

  \grace a8 \glissando d4
}

> I would have thought grace notes with glissando instead of slur would have
> been an available user option, as they are quite common in guitar music.

the slur really makes sense and cannot simply be replaced by a straight line
- think of a grace/acciaccatura/appoggiatura with more than one note!

you should also have a look at (older) editions of pieces trying to show a
glissando from a grace to a normal note head… ( and not only that) -
sometimes you think there is a staccato dot somewhere, other times you think
there is a spot on the paper and further on

with lilypond you can do it - it is up to you to define what you prefer!

hope you'll find the good solution for your score!