Re: Acciaccatura with glissando

From: phil.burfitt
Subject: Re: Acciaccatura with glissando
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:56:40 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "-Eluze" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:14 PM

Hi Eluze,

I would have thought grace notes with glissando instead of slur would have
been an available user option, as they are quite common in guitar music.

the slur really makes sense and cannot simply be replaced by a straight line
- think of a grace/acciaccatura/appoggiatura with more than one note!

I didn't mean as a replacement to a slur, but rather as an additional style of grace/acciaccatura/appoggiatura with glissando instead of slur.

you should also have a look at (older) editions of pieces trying to show a
glissando from a grace to a normal note head… ( and not only that) -
sometimes you think there is a staccato dot somewhere, other times you think
there is a spot on the paper and further on

My own thoughts, having played with this most of yesterday, are that a glissando placed between a grace and main note is either hardly visible, or, in order to make the glissando visible and clear, the grace and main note need to be positioned too far apart. Of course this is all very subjective.

In the end I preferred to move the glissando below the notes - which solved the above points. I've include the the first four bars of Le Fandango Varié by Dionisio Aguado and a png clip below to put things in context (hope this mailing list accepts image clips).

\version "2.13.17"

\relative c {

 \clef "treble_8"
 \key f \major
 \time 3/4

 \slurDown
 \partial 4*1 \acciaccatura { d16[ e] } f8.[ d16]
 a4 r4 \acciaccatura { d16[ e] } f8.[ d16]
 a'4 r4
 \once \override Slur #'transparent = ##t
\once \override Glissando #'bound-details = #'((right (padding . 0)) (left (padding . 0)))
 \once \override Glissando #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1)
 \acciaccatura a8\glissando d8.[ cis16]
 a4 a16[( bes) g( a)] f[( g) d( f)]
}

Regards