Re: invisible rest that takes no horizontal space

From: Peter Van Kranenburg
Subject: Re: invisible rest that takes no horizontal space
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:07:51 +0200

On 6/18/10 4:08 PM, Arle Lommel wrote:
Dmytro, how well defined are the contexts where these occur? If the patterns
are well enough defined, you could probably automate all the replacements with
\partial by using a regular expression across all the files that is centered on
looking for the s2 sorts of things. Whether it would work would really depend
on how predictable these things would be. It would be much simpler if you were
using bar checks as then there would be something in the pattern to anchor the
search on, but your example

d2 s2 \bar ":|:"

could be accounted for with something like

Search string:
([a-g](?:is|es)?2) s2 \\bar ":\|:"

Replacement string:
\\partial 2\r\1 \\bar ":|:"

[...] Where it would break down is if these partial measures are variable in
length or if you have variable numbers of notes before the spacer, in which
case it might not work. [...]

Which is the case. I'm dealing with quite messy 18th century manuscripts.

Thanks for thinking along with me, but it seems not possible to escape from some computing with note and rest durations in order to insert the \partial command at the right place and with the right duration.

best,
Peter