Re: A later note's stem can be to the left of an earlier note's stem

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: A later note's stem can be to the left of an earlier note's stem
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:22:32 +0200

On 09.06.2010, at 15:11, Richard Sabey wrote:

Occasionally Lilypond decides to fit so many bars into a system that notes are squeezed so tightly together that, in a beamed group, a later note's downward stem can fall to the left of an earlier note's upward stem. The noteheads are in the correct left- to-right order but the stems are in the wrong order.

How can I stop Lilypond doing this? I can't predict which bars, if any, Lilypond will decide to squeeze so tightly.

In the meantime, a possible solution is to allow the measure to be split on multiple lines, i.e.,
%%begin example
\version "2.13.17"

lhMusic =
\new Voice \with { \remove Forbid_line_break_engraver } {
    \clef bass
    \time 12/4
\repeat unfold 12 { \stemUp e16[ fis! \bar "" \change Staff = "rh" \stemDown g' fis'!] \bar "" \change Staff = "lh" } \bar "|"
}

\score
{
    \new PianoStaff