Re: orchestrallily: Can't get it to work

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: orchestrallily: Can't get it to work
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:26:33 +0200

Hello Piero,

Am Samstag, 19. Juni 2010, um 20:22:51 schrieb MonAmiPierrot:
> I'm running LilyPond 2.12.2 and I can't get to work any single example from
> the Orchestrallily package.

Okay, so I'm the one to answer the question (being the developer of
OrchestralLily)....

Where did you get OrchestralLily from?

> It seems I also get a long series of errors beginning with:
>
> .... orchestrallily.ly:699:16: error: syntax error, unexpected
> NUMBER_IDENTIFIER
>           \huge
>                 \bigger \bold"
>
> Is it a matter of LilyPond version number?

I'm actively developing OrchestralLily for my own editions, so the version
available in the git repository should always work with the latest development
version of LilyPond.

> Any idea on how to have orchestrallily work?

As mentioned, the latest version of OrchestralLily in git should work with the
latest (development) version of LilyPond in git (version 2.13.something)...
Several LilyPond internals have changed between 2.12 and 2.13, so I doubt it
would be possible to have OrchestralLily work with the 2.12 releases...

> It looks like a great tool for writing scores and I would love to start
> using it.
> Another question: is this package currently actively develpoing? It looks
> like last version is more than 2 years old...

Yes, sorry, I have not updated the homepage for a long while, and I have not
done any official releases...

The most up-to-date documentation is not the homepage, but my presentation and
paper for the Linux Audio Conference in Utrecht a few weeks ago. They are
linked to from my list of publications and talks on my homepage:
http://kainhofer.com/science/publications.html

In particular, the paper and presentation (in PDF format) are:
http://kainhofer.com/Papers/Kainhofer_OrchestralLily_LAC2010.pdf
http://kainhofer.com/Papers/Kainhofer_Talk_OrchestralLily_LAC2010_2010-05-03_Presentation.pdf

The talk itself is also available on the LAC 2010 homepage as an ogg movie
file...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886