Re: orchestrallily: Can't get it to work

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: orchestrallily: Can't get it to work
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:25:29 +0000

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Piero,
>
> Am Samstag, 19. Juni 2010, um 20:22:51 schrieb MonAmiPierrot:
>> I'm running LilyPond 2.12.2 and I can't get to work any single example from
>> the Orchestrallily package.
>
> Okay, so I'm the one to answer the question (being the developer of
> OrchestralLily)....
>
> Where did you get OrchestralLily from?
>
>> It seems I also get a long series of errors beginning with:
>>
>> .... orchestrallily.ly:699:16: error: syntax error, unexpected
>> NUMBER_IDENTIFIER
>>           \huge
>>                 \bigger \bold"
>>
>> Is it a matter of LilyPond version number?
>
> I'm actively developing OrchestralLily for my own editions, so the version
> available in the git repository should always work with the latest development
> version of LilyPond.
>
>> Any idea on how to have orchestrallily work?
>
> As mentioned, the latest version of OrchestralLily in git should work with the
> latest (development) version of LilyPond in git (version 2.13.something)...
> Several LilyPond internals have changed between 2.12 and 2.13, so I doubt it
> would be possible to have OrchestralLily work with the 2.12 releases...
>
>> It looks like a great tool for writing scores and I would love to start
>> using it.
>> Another question: is this package currently actively develpoing? It looks
>> like last version is more than 2 years old...
>
> Yes, sorry, I have not updated the homepage for a long while, and I have not
> done any official releases...
>
> The most up-to-date documentation is not the homepage, but my presentation and
> paper for the Linux Audio Conference in Utrecht a few weeks ago. They are
> linked to from my list of publications and talks on my homepage:
> http://kainhofer.com/science/publications.html
>
> In particular, the paper and presentation (in PDF format) are:
> http://kainhofer.com/Papers/Kainhofer_OrchestralLily_LAC2010.pdf
> http://kainhofer.com/Papers/Kainhofer_Talk_OrchestralLily_LAC2010_2010-05-03_Presentation.pdf
>
> The talk itself is also available on the LAC 2010 homepage as an ogg movie
> file...
>
> Cheers,
> Reinhold
>
> --

Reinhold, i'm keen to use orchestrallilly too, but not being a coder,
i'm at a loss where to start with this.

For the sake of dumb users like me, how do we actually start, run, and
use orchestral liliy? I've downloaded the slides from LAC, and am
still none the wiser.

Is there a "cheat sheet" somewhere that walks the new user through the
process of using OL? (Assuming no coding skills, or extensive
knowledge of command line use)

I tried a few different things, but come up with errors, which are
likely to be user errors.

lilypond version is 2.13.25, and i have the latest git update of OL.

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org