Re: midi channel problem

From: Brett McCoy
Subject: Re: midi channel problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:39:29 -0400

2010/6/22 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng <address@hidden>:
> Sorry, I misunderstood NR. But I still need more than 16 sounds. I don't
> know the difference between channel and track. Finale and Sibelius can have
> more than 32 instruments at once, so I don't know whether Lilypond can reach
> this feature.

That's really a function of what your sequencer can handle -- an
instance of a single MIDI device can handle 16 channels (one MIDI
channel per staff). Usually, in DAW software using multiple MIDI
devices or softsynth plugins, you would map 0 - 15 for device 1, 16 -
31 for device 2, etc. Sequencers like Timidity can only handle 16
channels of MIDI, and Lilypond only provides 15 channels + 1 channel
for control. I don't see anything in the docs or the snippets list for
handling more than 16 MIDI channels in Lilypond.

I personally don't like using Lilypond to control playback, beyond for
using to check basic things like notes and harmony. A DAW like Sonar
or Rosegarden is better for controlling playback (so you can do
articulations, use MIDI CC, layer samples, etc). Use Lilypond to make
beautiful recordings and a MIDI-based DAW for making beautiful
recordings! :-)

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi