Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: different lyrics with different alternatives

From: Sven Siegmund
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: different lyrics with different alternatives
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:34:53 +0200

Hello,

I am glad that I have found a conversation about different lyrics for
repetition and alternatives in the Lilypond mailing list archive.
I have just installed Lilypond, worked through the introduction and am
trying to write a song where I need a more sophisticated solution for
writing lyrics for repetition and for repetition alternatives than
Francisco Vila and Hu Haipeng have found in their discussion on 16th
and 17th July 2009.

Here is my minimal example showing what I want to achieve:
------------------
\version "2.12.3"

melody = \relative g' {
    \time 2/4
    g g g g

    \repeat volta 2 { b b }
    \alternative { { b d } { b a } }
    \bar "||"

    g g g g
    \bar "|."
  }

lyricsformelody =
  \lyricmode {
    Part one is long.
    Part two re -- peats
    \skip 4 \skip 4
    Part three is long.
  }

lyricsforrepetition =
  \lyricmode {
    \skip 4 \skip 4 \skip 4 \skip 4
    ly -- rics
    \skip 4 \skip 4
    dif -- fer.
  }

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "one" { \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { \lyricsformelody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { \lyricsforrepetition }

  \layout { }
}
---------------

Currently, because I am not very familiar with Lilypond, I cannot
think of another method of achieving what I want (and what you see in
the compiled minimal example) than by writing many annoying \skip
commands into the lyrics. This method is absolutely unsuitable for the
actual song because the durations of notes differ (and \skips would
have to follow them closely, I presume) and the parts of the song are
much longer.

I hope you will help me to find a way to engrave my minimal example in
a smarter way.

Best regards,
S.