Re: Emacs lily mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs lily mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:52:29 +0200

Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden> writes:

> All your points are valid.  Being more used to Common Lisp, my coding
> style tends to be much influenced by it.

It was not a personal criticism: it is always preferable to get
something done than philosophize about how to do it.  I was just stating
why, at the current point of time, efforts of mine in that direction are
not likely.  The main thing holding me up is that Emacs is not up to par
for doing this in a "natural" way, and I don't want to invest the time
needed to do it the "hard" way like you.  It is too likely I'd be
running out of steam at some point of time without anybody picking up
the remainders.

> That's mainly why I have not advertised this emacs mode.  It works for
> me, but I don't think it's good enough to make a publishable software.
>
> I am keen on seeing your progress.  Having a useful lilypond mode in
> Emacs would be really great.

Their will not be much progress to see for a while.  I started with
pestering the CEDET developers with telling them why CEDET as it stands
does not make things as easy for me as possible.  CEDET is slated to
move to Bazaar as its VCS, and then frequent merges into Emacs are
envisioned.

It is not likely my contributions to progress will consist of much more
than nagging people for quite a while.

--
David Kastrup