Re: fermata not shown at playing parts

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: fermata not shown at playing parts
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:13:56 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:10 AM
>
>> But in the Expressive Marks section there is no text outside of an
>> example
>> that describes using fermata as an articulation.  (There is an index
>> entry
>> for \fermata, however).
>
> OK, I've added a para to Articulations and ornaments in Expressive
> marks:
>
> "Articulations can be attached to rests as well as notes but they
> cannot be attached to multi-measure rests.  A special predefined
> command, @code{\fermataMarkup}, is available for attaching a fermata
> to a multi-measure rest (and only a multi-measure rest).  This
> creates a @code{MultiMeasureRestText} object."
>
> together with an example to show how these are used.

Wouldn't it make more sense if articulations were siphoned off a
multimeasure and tacked back on by the multimeasure engraver?

On the other hand, I have a hard time imagining what this should be
equivalent to when expanded.  Fermata on the last bar?  If so, I'd
likely place the fermata after the multimeasure rest symbol.

What other articulations are to be expected on multimeasure rests?

--
David Kastrup